Seven killed in Jerusalem synagogue shooting

Seven killed in Jerusalem synagogue shooting

At least seven people were killed and three others wounded in a shooting at a synagogue in neighboring Neve Ya’akov. Jerusalem, the police and medics have said. He said the shooting occurred on Friday evening in the northern part of East Jerusalem.

“The terrorists arrived in a car and opened fire on a building used as a synagogue in a neighborhood in the northern part of East Jerusalem,” police said. Police located the gunman and shot him. He said a pistol used in the attack has been seized.

The Times of Israel newspaper quoted police and medical workers as saying that seven people were shot dead and at least three others were wounded in the militant crossfire. The report said police said the terrorist – a resident of East Jerusalem – was shot after getting out of the car and opened fire on officers while trying to flee on foot.

Magen David Adom (MDA) rescue services said its medics pronounced five victims dead at the scene and the other two victims in Jerusalem hospitals. Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, speaking after visiting the scene, called the attack “one of the most serious we have known in years”.

“Our hearts are with the families. I commend the police officers who acted so quickly. We must act with determination and restraint. I call upon people not to take the law into their own hands,” he said. It was said in the report. , He said the cabinet would convene on Saturday, adding “we have decided on a number of immediate steps starting tonight.”

Also read: Nine Palestinians killed, many injured by Israeli troops in Jenin clashes

MDA staff said that the condition of a 70-year-old woman is critical, the condition of a 20-year-old youth is critical and the condition of a 14-year-old boy is critical. The injured were taken to Hadassah Mount Scopus Hospital.

His office said Defense Minister Yoav Galant was soon to hold a special situation assessment meeting with the chief of staff of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), the head of Israel’s internal security agency Shin Bet, and other security officials.

The attack came a day after Israeli forces killed 10 Palestinians, nine of them in an army operation, during a raid in the West Bank city of Jenin, in what was the bloodiest day in the Palestinian Authority (PA)-controlled territory in several years. Was.

The IDF said its forces came under fire and killed several enemy fighters during a “counter-terrorism operation to capture an Islamic Jihad terrorist squad”. It claimed that the infiltration targeted Islamic Jihad operatives who were allegedly behind attacks on Israeli soldiers and civilians. Meanwhile, Gallant alleged that those targeted were planning to “commit terroristic attacks in Israel”.

Islamic Jihad vowed revenge “very soon” with its spokesman, Tariq Salmi, stating that “the resistance is everywhere and ready and prepared for the next confrontation”.

Saleh al-Ouri, deputy leader of Hamas, the Palestinian group that controls the Gaza Strip, vowed that Israel would “pay the price for the Jenin massacre”. Palestinian The authority suspended its ongoing coordination with Israeli security forces in response.

An army spokesman said just after midnight two rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip towards Israeli territory, which were intercepted by Israel’s air defense system. The army said Israel carried out airstrikes on weapons sites of Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

This story has been obtained from a third party syndicated feed, Agencies. Mid-Day accepts no responsibility or liability for its reliance, reliability, credibility and data of the text. Mid-day Management/ reserves the sole right to modify, delete or remove (without notice) any Content at its sole discretion for any reason whatsoever.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here